The game of the week in Delco this past week featured Central League unbeatens Springfield and Ridley. It was somewhat surprising to see the Green Raiders lose by eight runs — I anticipated a fairly close game with Springfield coming out victorious — but also served as another reminder the Cougars are a well-oiled machine that can beat you with pitching, lineup depth, heady baserunning and stellar defense. It’s difficult to imagine them relinquishing the No. 1 spot in the Super 7 in the foreseeable future … even though they received a good scare last week (more on that below).
As we begin a new week, let’s take a look at some of last week’s top stories:
- Penncrest continued its upward trend. The Lions defeated Garnet Valley the other day. Almost beats Springfield on Friday… now that would have broken the Delco sports blog.
- Chichester and Springfield remain the only perfect teams in Delco. Chi was tested against Lansdale Catholic, but won 3-2 thanks to a game-winning hit from Tiffany Malin.
- The Central League is kind of a hot mess after Springfield. Who’s the second best team? Ridley? Conestoga? Garnet Valley? Penncrest?
- Players who are on fire right now: Garnet Valley’s Sam Tomasetti, Episcopal Academy’s Alex Viscusi, Cardinal O’Hara’s Kaela Kane, Chichester’s Meghan Wimmer…just to name a few. Those players are among the county’s top hitters in terms of extra-base hits. Those stats, and more, will appear on the blog by Monday morning (keep an eye out for a link on Twitter)
- Sun Valley (3-6) replaced coach Brenda Smerigan with junior varsity coach, Pat Rafferty. Smerigan stepped down from her position last week. Details concerning Smerigan’s abrupt departure were not made available to the Daily Times.
1. Springfield (10-0)
Still holding strong. Courtney Scarpato, Taylor Winkelman, Jenny Caggiano and Nikki DePietro are coming off good weeks at the plate.
2. Chichester (9-0)
Nicole O’Donnell smacked her first home run of the year as the Eagles took wins against Penn Wood, Lansdale Catholic and Interboro.
3. Episcopal Academy (13-1)
The Churchwomen get a tough test Tuesday when they host Penn Charter, perhaps the only team that can give them a run in the Inter-Ac League
4. Ridley (6-1)
They look to bounce back from the Springfield game.
5. Cardinal O’Hara (5-2)
Annmarie Banes slugged two of her three home runs last week.
6. Penncrest (6-4)
I don’t know much about the Lions because they haven’t reported all of their games to us. But… they continue to open eyes, so that’s enough to crack a softball Super 7..
7. Garnet Valley (6-2)
The Jags, after a stunning loss to Penncrest, staged a great comeback against Upper Darby. Morgan Lovelace smashed the go-ahead home run as GV scored five runs in the top of the seventh on the way to a 7-6 win last Thursday.
IN THE PICTURE…
Upper Darby (3-5)