Here’s a brief list of a few of the top returning softball players in Delco. Players are listed in no particular order and this isn’t a best-of ranking.
1. Savannah Nierintz, Upper Darby: The All-Delco pitcher, who verbally committed to Kutztown, has been one of the top pitchers in
the county the last two years. The flame-throwing right-hander led the county with eight shutouts and posted a 2.76 ERA in 2012. At the plate, Nierintz batted .423 with 27 RBIs.
2. Brooke Lachette, Bonner-Prendergast: The All-Delco Lachette was one of the top hurlers in the Catholic League in 2012, finishing with 10 wins and a 2.38 ERA. While her batting can improve, she is a reliable run producer and power-hitting threat for the Pandas.
3. Katie Maloney, Sun Valley: The slick-fielding infielder was an All-Delco as a sophomore in 2011. She didn’t hit as much in 2012, but is due for a bounce back season. Maloney has the making to batted .400, score 25 runs and drive in 20. She has sneaky power, too. As a second baseman last year, she was a phenomenal defender.
4. Michelle Hagarty, Chichester: Is she the best player in Delco? Could be. In my view, there isn’t a more complete player. Hagarty is a slugger with speed and ridiculous range at the shortstop position. A two-time All-Delco, Hagarty is looking to build off a season in which she led the Eagles to the District One Class AAA playoffs. She hit .495 with six home runs and 24 RBIs. Hagarty will play softball at La Salle next spring.
5. Alex Viscusi, Episcopal Academy: As a freshman, Viscusi led the county in triples, doubles and belted four home runs. She is an All-Delco pitcher in the making. One of the top stirkeout pitchers as a frosh, Viscusi logged 18 wins in 2012.
Check out DelcoTimes.com next week for a full glance of the 2013 softball season.
Got something to say?